||Paul J. Beard II
Pacific Legal Foundation
Building Industry Legal Defense
(949) 553-9500 x 134
L.A. builders' forum will highlight PLF's Koontz
Los Angeles, CA; September 26, 2013: This year's landmark U.S. Supreme Court victory for property rights — Pacific Legal Foundation's Koontz case — will be highlighted on Wednesday, October 2, 2013, at the 12th Annual Building Industry Law and Policy Conference, sponsored by the Building Industry Legal Defense Foundation (BILD). The conference will be held in Los Angeles. Register online at: www.biasc.org, or call Maria Bolanos: (949) 553-9500 x 134.
Paul J. Beard II
PLF Principal Attorney Paul J. Beard II, who successfully represented property owner Coy Koontz Jr. at the Supreme Court, will give a presentation as part of a panel addressing the case.
In Koontz v. St. Johns River Water Management District, the Supreme Court made explicit, for the first time, that money is “property” protected by the Fifth Amendment from confiscation by land use permitting authorities. In other words, the Constitution’s prohibition on unjustified permit conditions extends to excessive financial demands, not merely to unjust demands for real property. Koontz was also precedent-setting in establishing that a landowner does not have to accept a confiscatory permit condition before filing a constitutional challenge in court.
- What: 12th Annual Building Industry Law and Policy Conference; afternoon session on 2013 Developments in “Takings” Law will highlight the Koontz case.
- Who: Paul J. Beard II, PLF Principal Attorney who successfully argued Koontz at the U.S. Supreme Court, will give a presentation on the afternoon panel.
- When: Wednesday, October 2, 2013, 9:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. (PDT).
- Where: Metropolitan Water District Board Room, 700 N. Alameda, Los Angeles, 90012.
- Details on cost, MCLE credit, and registration are available at: http://blog.pacificlegal.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2013-Flyer-9-12.pdf.
More information on Koontz v. St. Johns River Water Management District, including the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision; text and audio of oral argument; and PLF briefs, podcasts, and videos, may be found at: www.pacificlegal.org.
About Pacific Legal Foundation
Donor-supported Pacific Legal Foundation is a nonprofit, public interest watchdog organization that litigates for limited government, property rights, individual rights, free enterprise, equal protection, and a balanced approach to environmental regulations in courts nationwide. PLF attorneys represent all clients free of charge.
This year marks PLF’s 40th anniversary. PLF has been America’s leading litigator for the Equal Protection Clause’s guarantees of equal rights and equal opportunity.